ARitize360 is an app that allows people to use their mobile devices to capture products and turn them into 3D Augmented Reality assets.  The point of creating these 3D assets is to increase sales for vendors selling items online.  3D assets help shoppers make more informed purchase decisions and can increase the sale of products for retailers by giving shoppers a better visual understanding of the product.  



3 weeks


3D Asset Capture App 


Research & Strategy

IA & Wireframing


Design Assets

Colour & Branding

Accessibility Improvements   

UI Design  


Marketing Material


The innovation team at Nextech had developed a technology capable of capturing specific types of objects through a mobile device to produce a 3D asset that can also be viewed in augmented reality. It was up to me to design an app that would allow people to capture items easily and intuitively while being limited to several complex technical constraints.


1.   High fidelity design of the consumer facing 3D product capture app 

2.  Mobile and Desktop Marketing Landing Pages 

3.  Subscription Page

4.  App store content

5.  Content Management site

6.  Email Notification Designs with Copy

6.  3 Day Design Challenge 

7.  Accessibility





The first step began when I was tasked with a 3 day design challenge as part of the hiring process at NextechAR. I was asked to design some wireframes for an app that would allow people to capture items in 3D and save them to a library.  Unsure what the technical. constraints were or who the main demographic was, I based the design on my own assumptions and proceeded. I quickly conducted market research and looked at apps like Display Land, Scann3D, Apple and Samsung's Bixby for inspiration.


Display Land




Once the competitive market research concluded, I began to think about potential use cases and who would be using this app. Knowing that NextechAR has an eCommerce website with 3D and AR models on it, I created a persona based on someone who I felt would be the most interested in an application like this. Below is the persona I created to keep in mind when designing this app.  


Sandy Johnson.jpg

I started analyzing the apps from the market research. I focused on the features that I felt worked and didn't work. Once this was clear I began sketching out and ideating the user flow and how the app could work.  Usually I would create a task flow, but this was a 3 day design challenge. I sketched out my ideas and worked from there. 


Once I felt I had a flow worked out I began designing the wireframes. Everything started coming together. When the wireframes were complete I built out a clickable prototype and started user testing on a few people that were in the general demographic. There didn't seem to be any problems with the flow or visual design and so I submitted it to the hiring manager and luckily I heard back with great feedback from the CEO. 



Upon getting hired, I was tasked with designing the ARitize360 app. The app lived in the app store but certainly needed a UX/UI overhaul. I was the first and only UX/UI designer on the Nextech team and I was excited to take on this challenge. Below are the screens of the app as it existed when I began this project.


The deadline I had been given to create this app was 3 weeks. I started by gathering as much information from the stakeholders as possible in regards to who the goal users were. I connected with developers to understand what the technical constraints were, and I also looked to the marketing team for any branding or assets that may have existed.  There was only a logo and the font being used on the Nextech website that I had access to. Creating this in 3 weeks was going to be a push, but once I gathered all the information I moved forward quickly and with an improved focus.  


Now that I had a focus on the target demographic, and the business needs I began looking for UI inspiration. I needed to create an app that hip entrepreneurs would find visually appealing, and that functioned in a very simple way. Because this app was aimed at business owners and it was high-tech, I wanted to try to design an app that would express technology and innovation.  



LogIn Copy 4_google-pixel4xl-clearlywhit
LogIn Copy 5_google-pixel4xl-clearlywhit
home menu copy_google-pixel4-clearlywhite-portrait.png
home menu_google-pixel4-clearlywhite-portrait.png


Because this project had a deadline of 3 weeks I had to cut some corners to ensure I completed it ontime. I used the research and design I applied to the 3 day design challenge and proceeded to design the rest of the app in High Fidelity.  There was no style guide or design system to work from so I was essentially designing the visual identity and branding as well. To try to keep consistent with products we put out I used the font that was used on the Nextech website. I took advantage of the graphic designer on the marketing team to assist me with the visual assets. 

My focus was to make this as easy and enjoyable to use within the constraints. One of the most noticeable issues I found right away was communication to the user. This app required onboarding and instructions to help them understand how to capture their model while yielding the best results. Below are a few of the onboarding screens I created to get users started.


Tips intro Copy 3_google-pixel4-clearlywhite-portrait.png
Tips intro Copy 2_google-pixel4-clearlywhite-portrait.png
Tips intro Copy 4_google-pixel4-clearlywhite-portrait.png
Tips intro_google-pixel4-clearlywhite-portrait.png